Sunday, August 30, 2009

Watching a Cardinal


I saw a male cardinal sunlit on a fence outside my kitchen window this morning while I was washing dishes. I had to stop and watch him because the sunlight made him so red.

He dropped down to the ground and pecked at the dirt -- again, a brilliant red bird in a spotlight of sun.

Then back on top of the fence, this time his head the only red in sunlight. The rest of him was wine red in shadows.

I don't know how long I watched him flit from fence to dirt to fence again. It seemed a long time.

I'm writing all of this here as a present to you. As you picture it in your mind, it becomes your experience, too. Even the brilliant red. Especially the brilliant red.

This is one of the ways we grow beyond ourselves.

Your turn.

1 comment:

The Rambling Taoist said...

I like to watch moths. Some are gorgeous colors; others are drab. They seem to like me as they constantly perch on my shoulders. I try to catch the larger ones near the light in the kitchen window so they won't accidentally fall in the dishwater. I gently cradle each one in the palm of my hands, walk to the back deck and then set them free. It's interesting to watch them fly off into the forest.