Monday, May 18, 2009

Saved From What?


The Christian concept of an angry God casting people into everlasting torment in hell just doesn't work for me. I know Christian fundamentalists will shake their heads at that and say it's not about me -- and it's not up to me. And they'd be right. It's not about me, and it's not up to me. Hell that is.

At the same time, though, it doesn't make sense that a loving God would create us and give us "free will," and then waterboard us for eternity just because we fuck up during our lives and make some bad choices. What kind of "loving" God is that?

But that's what Jesus was sent to fix, I'm told. Our fuck-ups and bad choices.

Okay, but that doesn't explain why God would create hell in the first place. And if God never created hell in the first place, then why does Jesus have to be a savior? What's he saving us from?

No comments: