Wednesday, September 23, 2009

What I Hear


When I listen with my ears, I hear voices and music and birds and screams and shouts.

When I listen with my mind, I hear words and ideas and abstractions.

When I listen with my head, I hear the noise of trade and commerce.

When I listen with my fear, I hear every whisper and sift every nuance.

When I listen with my heart, I hear the pleas of those who cannot help themselves.

When I listen with my spirit, I hear every pain, every laugh, every scream, every joy.

2 comments:

Wombstone said...

Very nice, mister...

Dr. Mike said...

Balance

Slowly my aunt would assemble
Large puzzles on her card table;
By fitting the pieces together
A scene from nature would emerge.

My brother saw shapes and edges;
My mother always started with
The outer frame and worked her
Way in, guided by colors.

My sister and father couldn’t
Stand the waste of time,
Never seeing how these games
Taught the interconnectedness of life.

Acid rain isn’t just one nation’s
Problem, but a piece of some
Larger puzzle that takes
Many hands to solve together.

Who would have thought
That horseshoe crab eggs
Were what sandpipers
Needed to stay alive.

[Disposable Poem September 23, 2009]
Dr. Mike