Tuesday, July 7, 2009

That Still, Small Voice


I spent the first half of my life looking for spiritual truth outside of myself -- seeking it from preachers, the Bible, my parents, Sunday school teachers, and others who claimed to know what God wanted of me.

After discovering that the ground of others' faith wasn't necessarily as solid as I'd been led to believe, I've spent my later years treading my own interior landscape and listening to that "still, small voice" I find there. It has proven to be a much more reliable guide.

At least for me.

4 comments:

roughterrain crane said...

Are you interested in TAO? Me too. It will help you to hear voices which have never been heard by you and others.

HK Stewart said...

Yes, very much. This is why I meditate each morning. To be still and listen.

Thanks for your comment.

The Rambling Taoist said...

In our society, it's no wonder that almost all of us spend a certain amount of our lives seeking truth in the wrong places. We're socialized from the very beginning into this notion that we are each a wretch and an unworthy cretin. Once this idea becomes internalized, it's natural not to trust ourselves and not to seek out our own voice.

It is only when a person is able to break through this imposed negativity of thought that we find that truth (God, Tao, whatever you wish to call it) resides in each of us and is the seed of own individual voices.

HK Stewart said...

Here's to breaking through.